MARY WINSLOW, CAKE Based in Chicago, Cake is the combination of Mary Winslow’s passions for art and baking. For Mary, creating wedding cakes is the perfect way to make a work of art that’s not just beautiful, but delicious as well. The growth of e-commerce has allowed Mary to share her delicious products with people who appreciate high-quality, delicious sweets no matter how close or far from Chicago they are.
Design Tips for a Wedding Cake Inspired by a Ceci New York Invitation by Mary Winslow, Cake
- Size: Determine the size of the cake by the number of people attending and how the cake is to be served. Katherine needed a certain amount of servings, so had the option of three wider round tiers or four thinner tiers. Katherine chose the more contemporary look of the narrow cake.
- Style: Get an idea of the style and taste so you can design something in this vein. By looking at Katherine’s dress, invitation and venue, I knew she wanted a clean, modern, architectural look.
- Budget: Ask what the budget is so you don’t design something your client will fall in love with but hasn’t budgeted for. Katherine wanted a quality cake, and was willing to spend more, but had a budget that we respected while still achieving her desired look.
- Pattern: I like to look at a graphic, take it apart and rearrange it to see the possibilities. I took the pattern on Katherine’s invitation and pulled it apart. Instead of a floral cascade, we created a delicate geometric cascade.
- Execution: Make sure your design can be executed in a clean and stable manner. We tried Katherine’s geometric panels in royal icing first, but didn’t like the look or the stability. Next, we tried running gum paste through a pasta machine to make it very thin. Then we used an X-Acto to make the decorative cuts. This technique worked!
Discover more on Cake in Chicago, Illinois
August 28th, 2012 by Ceci New York
Katherine & Robert’s Dream Team
- Invitations: Ceci New York
- Dress: Peter Langner at Mark Ingram Bridal Atelier
- Hair: Molly Mcalinden, Salon Buzz, Chicago
- Makeup: Jill Gosser, Beauty On Call, Chicago
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Nicole Miller
- Jewelry – Cuff: Alexis Bittar
- Venue – Ceremony: Chapel Of St. James, Chicago
- Venue – Reception: The Modern Wing at The Art Institute of Chicago
- Music: Brian Carey, Fig Media, Chicago
- Photographer: David Wittig Photography, Chicago
- Florist: Jessica Griffin, Botanicals, Chicago
- Planner: Tara Moser, Lola Event Productions, Chicago
- Cake: Mary Winslow, Cake, Chicago
- Groom’s Suite & Tie: J.Crew
- Groom’s Shoes: Heutchy, Odin New York
- Honeymoon: ViceRoy in Anguilla, Le Sereno in Saint Barthelemy